Address: 3405 Park Ave, Wilmington, NC 28403
3. Empie Park
Located near the Independence Mall and behind Wilmington Fire Station 2, Virginia Pearson Empie Park aka “Empie Park” is a nice park for tennis players, small humans and dogs alike. The park includes:
- a dog park
- nice large playground
- several covered picnic areas
- 19-tennis courts with a clubhouse
- basket ball court
- baseball field
- bocce ball court
- access to the Gary Shell Cross-City Trail
- Parking: Lots of parking spots on both the right side (where the playground, dog park and picnic shelters are) and on the left side (where the Althea Gibson Tennis Complex is).
- Restrooms: Available near the playground and tennis annex
- Stroller Friendly: yes!
Looking to get your walk on? You can do as my friend Jessie and I did and walk part of the Gary Shell Cross-City Trail, which crosses through Empie Park. We followed the trail onto the campus of UNC Wilmington. There and back is about 5 miles.
You will first pass through a neighborhood (Rosemont Ave), pass Flying Machine Brewery, and around the pond (down Randall Pkwy). It’s a nice walk and along the way are benches and a picnic area at Mill Creek Apartments. If you do choose to walk to UNCW, be mindful that crossing S. College Road requires everyone in your group to pay close attention. This is one of the most traveled roads in Wilmington.
If you are up for a walk, I recommend jumping on the Cross-City Trail. If not, enjoy the playground, watch the pups play and maybe try tennis. I hope you enjoy Empie Park.Your Friend – Amanda